Monday, September 12, 2011

My First Blog

I must start out my very first blog with admitting that it is my first blog, and I have never actually been on a blog website before. This a cool new experience for me but also a little nerve-racking. I love to write; I love the way it allows me to communicate my thoughts and ideas more clearly than verbal communication, but I am also very shy about my writing. I wrote poetry all the time throughout my adolescent years to sort of work out how I felt about a situation, but I have shown only a of few of these poems to very few people. Over the years the school the papers I have written were viewed only by myself and my teacher, at least for the most part, so posting this for my peers to review and react makes me apprehensive. 

I wanted to comment on the blog we read from a former student last class. I agreed when he questioned his ability to teach something such as writing, since he feels he has a lack of valuable knowledge to pass on to impressionable students. I feel the same way. I am still trying to find my niche as a student, how then will I ever feel I have the ability to teach. I believe it was Frank McCourt in Inventing the Truth, who spoke about how he continued to learn from his own students while he was a teacher. I think that's very true no matter how knowledable you are, or how prepared you you are for anything in life, there is still something to be learned about what you are doing. That being said, it takes a little pressure off my shoulders in feeling like I must know everything before I can begin to teach.

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to the interwebz! Having a blog is fun! I promise! Exclamation point!

    But seriously...having a public blog is definitely nerve-wracking. I believe I mentioned in class that only a handful of people have the URL to my actual blog, where I post some of my weirder/sadder/realer musings. Because when people read your thoughts they can *gasp* JUDGE you! Especially with the anonymity of the internet. But what's awesome about this being your first blog is that you're pretty much guaranteed not to be judged. I'm really excited for this assignment, because I feel like it's going to generate a lot of really interesting discussions - we all have so many ideas to bounce off of each other!

    I totally identify what you (and McCourt) said about learning from your students. It's something that happens all the time - we are continually learning from those around us. (And I look forward to learning from your blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Christina!
    Writing itself, at least for me, it's a social experience; and therefore, an opportunity to be judged. Your post brought me a memory of my childhood. When I was 10, I used to write in a "special notebook" (I hopelessly denied to myself that it was a diary, hehe! But it was. Kind of.) Most of the things I wrote were about how unfair were my parents' punishments and how bad my sister treated me. It was very stupid, I know, but even though it was something that I wrote to myself, very deep inside, I wanted them to read what I have to say.
    Owning a "personal" blog is quite similar. You write your post; first, it is so yours, after a few days (maybe hours, or even minutes!!) you feel anxious for someone to read it and comment it. Don't you feel that way?
    Yours,
    Luis

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading your blog, because I could really relate to it! I, like you, have never written a blog before, and I don't have much experience writing for others to read. I admit, I don't write poetry, but I think this blog assignment will be a great opportunity for us, and others in the class, to get some experience for writing for others to read, in a good encouraging environment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I'm a fellow no-blogger. I'm enjoying it so far though! How are you feeling about it? I like it because it gives me an opportunity to interact with students outside of my classroom three foot interaction radius. I'm looking forward to reading your future blogs!

    ReplyDelete